Friday, July 10, 2009

Movie Version of My Hell

At the urging of my friend, I watched Office Space again last night. I was told that I would think it was a lot funnier than the first time that I saw it. That I would be able to relate. Then we could make Office Space comments together, the way we currently do with Mean Girls- a highly quoteable film, and the last time that Lindsay Lohan looked hot.

But back to Office Space. I watched it last night, ready to be highly entertained. And do you know? It kind of felt more like an extension of my day.

I cringed when Lumbergh lumbers over to give Peter some instructions because that was exactly how my old boss used to talk! He used to think about every word that he would say and even though he's not really telling you to do something, he's not really asking either. MMkay? Great, thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was funny. It's really a genius movie. But more than that, its so...accurate. That really is what it is like to live in a cubicle. I really do have to account for my mistakes to several different people. And that redhead? The one that says "Corporate accounts. Please hold, thank you!" in a really highpitched annoying voice that becomes the soundtrack to his nightmares? I have a fake laugher on the other side of my cubicle wall. She is on the phone all day (sometimes on speaker so that I have the benefit of hearing both sides of the conversation) laughing her head off. Remember Monica's fake work laugh? Its worse. I just don't know how everything can be so funny! As for the awkward birthday party and cake--don't even get me started. That's a post on its own.

I guess the big question is, if you had a million dollars what would you do? Aside from the fact that $1 million won't go as far as it used to...I think that I'm with Peter on this one: nothing. I would need to decompress from this cubicle hell before I could seriously consider another 9-5 position. The idea of doing nothing really does appeal to me.

I don't want to spoil the ending for those of you that haven't seen it, but I don't mind telling you that it definitely played out one of my fantasies. I've definitely daydreamed about it.

I guess there is still hope for me? I mean if Milton can get his happy ending I sure as hell better get mine.

3 comments:

  1. I guess its the financial security that comes with the million dollars. No belt tightening. But you are right, I guess there is always welfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really do enjoy the movie office space. I really loved jennifer aniston's flair.

    If I had a million dollars I would invest it (hopefully well) and live off the interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say Jennifer Aniston's flair, do you mean the buttons she had to wear, or her own version where she flipped off her manager? Because that flair, I did enjoy.

    And you are right- the right thing to do would be to invest and live off the interest. But I so long to do something crazy like nothing, or buy a sports team.

    ReplyDelete