Friday, September 24, 2010

Cleaning House

Do you know what's an awesome way to start your day? A skype session with your favourite Swede.

We have been trying to get a hold of each other on skype for weeks but with time differences, its tricky. This morning? Success. Sure it took 45 minutes out of my job search but for catching up with my very good Swede friend, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Problem is, now I'm thirsty. While she was chatting with me her friends came over and started making her dinner and poured her a glass of wine (where can I get me some of these kinds of friends?). The thing with skype is that you feel like you're actually in the same room with a person, so her having a glass of wine made me feel like I wanted a glass of wine, should have a glass of wine. But then I realized that its not even noon here and actually a glass of wine now would be kind of inappropriate. Plus I still have plans to go to the gym soon and have you ever had one beer, or one glass of wine and then decided to go to the gym? You probably weren't drunk off one drink but you would be after a few minutes on the treadmill.

I guess its a cost-efficient way to drink? Also cuts down on calories in a way?

So now its late-morning and all I have to offer you are efficient ways of drinking. Swedes are inspiring aren't they?

Actually I don't feel bad for being so unproductive this morning. Yesterday, I was hella productive. The apartment is spotless, I did laundry, I even made dinner. If you have been reading this blog for any length of time (my apologies) you will know that I don't cook. Its not that I don't know how (I can feed myself if need be, but its all pretty basic fare) there just doesn't seem to be any point when I live with an aspiring Gordon Ramsay. No, The Boyfriend isn't training to be a chef, but he loves to cook. And what kind of girlfriend would I be if I deprived him of this joy?

But yesterday I did. I cooked and when he asked me what he could do to help I told him to go play video games and have a beer. We actually have a rule that he's not allowed in the kitchen if I'm going to cook dinner because with a knife in my hand I'm too apt to stab him should he offer 'helpful' hints on how to do things 'properly'.

Anyway, obviously I still don't have a job. But I'm not going to get all melancholy about it today. I had an excellent conversation with one of my very favourite people, a reminder that girlfriends can actually be awesome, not a whole lot of work and emotionally draining, and my apartment is spotless (aside from the one room that we don't know what to do with until I get a job and start getting paid again). I tell you, since I have lost my job my apartment has been so much cleaner. We were trying to decide yesterday if its because we have so much extra time and energy to devote to cleaning it, or because we now own it ourselves and there is a certain amount of pride that we take in keeping it clean and cozy.

Maybe its my inner Dutch OCD coming out finally. Cousin, I think you must know what I mean.

Even in my funemployed state, a Friday can still improve my outlook. Happy Weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Skype is great for feeling like you're in the same room but you still can't smack 'em.

    ReplyDelete