Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hot Dog

Last night I spent the night on an air mattress. In my own house. See, I'm a most excellent hostess and since our guest accomodations are currently subpar, obviously we couldn't ask our guests to sleep there. So we took the bullets.

Result? Pain all over. Would probably have been fine had I been one person but The Boyfriend refused to sleep on the couch leaving me to luxuriate in air mattress comfort alone. Jerk.

Anyway now I'm at ikea. Because what do you do when you have houseguests? Take them to look at reasonably priced house wares. I was just in line for a hot dog (sustenance is required) and it struck me how many people were shopping at ikea in the middle of the day on a wednesday! Obviously there are the moms that are home with the kids (but why are you bringing kids to ikea? They hate it, you hate bringing them and I hate listening to them screaming because they are bored), the retired folks (lucky bastards) and of course the students (furnishing first apartments and dorms). But there were a lot of professional looking folks in there too, people that definitely belonged in some kind of office until 5. What gives? How are these people, clearly employed, able to meander about ikea on a Wednesday?

This is not a quick lunch break kind of thing. You don't just pop into ikea to pick up a quick something. It's not possible. We meant to. We've been in here for an hour (hence the hot dog).

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around jobs that don't have you chained to your desk for 8 hours a day. I hear that some places have christmas parties that don't involve the word potluck. Still kind of mind blowing.

But I'm clearly not alone. Along with those colleagues that suffered with me daily (holla Anna, Gloria, MK, Dustin) there are others out there. In line just now I was eavesdropping (like you don't) and heard this girl talking about how it was so hard to get used to being treated like an a$$hole (her word, not mine. For once) at work when she has always been used to a modicum of respect. It took a lot of effort for me not to turn around and tell her it's not worth it.

But I can tell you! If you are currently working at a job where you get treated like crap, it's not worth it, it won't get better and you do deserve more. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have stayed so long. I have no job now, no money and I'm happy. Completely happy. I haven't been able to say that in a long time.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. You know what I'm doing for money now....promo for a Beauty Product....even if it can be labeled as a "shit job", I'm so much happier than i was before when i was stuck in that cubicle. My manager actually LISTENS to me and actually APPRECIATES me, even if it's a small thing that i suggest (or do). till i find a job that i absolutely love, i can't complain....that job was the worst job I've ever had....minus the fact that i got to meet you and Anna..and Dustin. i know who you are. HOLLA.
    p.s. I do have SHITLOAD of that beauty product just for you...when's our next date :(

    ReplyDelete