Tuesday, January 12, 2010

All Talk, No Action

All anyone in the office can talk about is how the Olympics are going to affect our commute.

If this is all anyone will be able to talk about for the next month, there will be problems.

Its not that I'm not as upset and pissed off as the next person (probably more than the next person actually) its just that all the talking in circles accomplishes nothing and just gets me more aggravated. And when I get aggravated my filter shuts itself off (its like when your car overheats, it just stops).

And then no one wins.

I know I talked about the Olympic situation yesterday, but clearly it requires more discussion. And yes, I do realize that I'm just as bad as all the rest. But this is my blog and you're reading it, so its really already done.

There are a few problems, the way that I see things.

Most of these issues find themselves back to the root of all evil, John.

Let's discuss shall we?

1. Schedule. I really resent the fact that I am expected to completely alter my work schedule, and thus my eating and sleeping habits, because the executives don't want production to suffer. Newsflash: Too late. All this chatter about what will happen, what could happen and what should happen has already taken away more production than just shutting it all down in the first place. OK probably not, but you get the idea.

2. Lateness. I hate to be late (like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland). I do everything in my power to never be late. If I think I'm going to be late, I let people know. This is true of me personally and professionally. But mostly, I pride myself on my punctuality (and a serious pet peeve of mine is that everyone else in my life seems to have a lateness problem). However, during the Olympics, with all the road closures, rerouting and extra passengers, there is only so much that I can do to ensure my timely arrival, short of camping out in the lunchroom. I would love a guarantee from John and his betters that we will not be punished for being late. I know this will not happen, but I would love it. I don't want to be talked to about the extra 10 minutes it took to get here, I don't want to hear stories about how you managed to get here on time even though you ran into a herd of elephants and had to rescue a baby from a runaway train. I want you to leave me alone and chalk it up to Olympic congestion.

**upate on this: I sent John and Amy an email requesting this guarantee. Totally put myself out there. Am totally going to get f**ked**

3. The Optics of the Team. We all know that John is obsessed with all things equal. He wouldn't let me take off earlier than everyone else on Christmas Eve last year because even though I started earlier, it wouldn't be fair (to me, but that is a whole other post). In order for us to be allowed to adjust our schedule for the Olympics, we need to basically prove that we will be affected. If you live too close, you are not allowed. But John- how is this fair? In a phrase: Its not. But the best of all, the cherry on the top of the proverbial sundae is that managers and people like Amy who have a work laptop, get to work from home. Because its fair to make us change our schedules, make me go to bed at 8 and miss all my favourite shows, but management (who is making these rules) gets to stay at home because they don't want to deal with the hassle. Total equality in the Cubicle.

I think my head just exploded.

Update on the Update: I got an email back from John. He said nothing in a lot of words. He said nothing about what I asked for, but talked around in a circle about how they were going to work with each person to make this all as painless as possible. The highlight? No harsh consequences (in other words we will still have to make up any time). Something about how we are all making sacrifices (except for him and his cronies of course) and finished off with an offer to get together and talk.

Because what I want most in the world is more face time with John.

I am really fighting the urge to walk out today. Much stronger than most days.

I would settle for the chance to b*tch slap John though. I'm nothing if not flexible.

2 comments:

  1. The problem with punctuality is that no one is there to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I LOVE this ! I'm going to steal this from you and use it all the time. I might even get cards printed to hand out!

    ReplyDelete