Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How I Got Here

I was living the high life. As a student. Abroad. In one of the most vibrant, exciting, beautiful, fun, extraordinary cities on the planet. I had a tiny room, a borderline crazy roommate but spent days learning about and exploring this incredible city, and nights with some of the most fantastic, funny and smart people, drinking incredibly cheap wine, cycling home as the sun was coming up. It was my paradise.

But- student life is temporary (unless you plan to be one of those people that can't leave, that gets more than one degree, goes on to a masters, then a phD) and knowing that my time abroad was coming to an end, and knowing to a certain degree, how much money I didn't have, I figured that I would have to have employment of some kind.I knew that they had replaced me at my old job and that they would not, in all likelihood, have a spot for me.

So I started emailing some friends back home and wouldn't you know it, one friend lets call him Sebastien, said that they were looking for someone at his office. Not in his department, but he was happy at work and it wouldn't be too strenuous (I still had about 2 semesters to go to finish school at this point). I asked him if he could get me an interview.There was some back and forth emailing with the manager of the department while I was still abroad, he outlined the role- I was confident that it was something I could do.

I arrived back home on the monday. On the wednesday I had my interview. On Thursday I had a new job. I was so excited. I would be SALARIED for the first time in my life. BIG deal.What I didn't know at the time, was that this salary would come with a really high price tag.

So basically I sold my soul to pay off student debt. And try as I might, with the bottom falling out of the world, there just doesn't seem to be that much work in publishing at the moment. I have to be patient. But patience is a virtue that I am struggling to maintain. In the meantime- I am entertained by the characters I work with. And also extremely frustrated. And really- unhappy.

Which brings me to the reason for this blog. I was entertaining my friend Claire with anecdotes of my life in a cubicle and she was laughing, told me she imagined my life at work to be "The Office"-esque. I assured her it was a lot less funny but that I would start a blog and maybe Hollywood would buy it and I could get out of here.

And her response was " DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT".

So here I am. An experiment. Maybe my work rage will subside.

**Please note that these posts were originally on Cubcleisms, but I had to create a new blog after my current boss got a hold of the link and began reading. Obviously he was hooked, so I had to move on**

No comments:

Post a Comment