Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hypocrisy at Work

Did you know that there are different rules for different people at work?

I didn't. I found out this morning.

Last week each member of the team got separately bawled out for Facebook use. Apparently taking 30 seconds out of your day to stalk your "friends" is considered poor office etiquette. Yeah yeah, I have read cnn.com too- apparently looking at Facebook at work is tantamount to stealing company time. But if I'm spending 2 minutes sending witty wall posts to my friends and sneaking peeks at pictures of people I have long ago stopped talking to, does that really hurt the bottom line?

No it doesn't. I still get my work done. At the end of the day, the last thing that I want to do when I get home is go on the computer (am making an exception today because I was busy all day beating my own processing record) and log precious minutes of Facebook or Twitter or whatever the cool kids are doing these days.

My point? We were each reamed out for using work time for non-work things. This was deemed highly offensive and actionable.

This morning Lilly went to John's desk on company time to ask a work related question and found John scrolling through a friend's pictures.

On Facebook.

What a hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment