Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Maurice Shouldn't Talk

First of all, thanks to those of you that left comments on yesterday's post. They were very much appreciated.

Now. I am at work today. Everybody cheers. Well everyone except me, who kind of wants to cry. There are so many reasons for this. Where to begin.

Perhaps with what I did yesterday. I watched Julie & Julia. Which I had heard described as uplifting and happy. And I guess it was. But it made me cry. It made me cry about 20 minutes in, so definitely not at any emotional climax or particularly sad anything. No, no. The part where Julie is walking to work and she just looks so sad because her job sucks and then she has to go to the Cob Salad lunch with all her "successful" friends? It made me cry because thats how I feel each and every day. If you saw me walking down the street on my way to work, you would think one of 2 things 1. who died? or 2. that girl looks like such a b*tch.

Sadness. But she actually did something to change it. Which made me simultaneously thrilled for her and unbelieveably frustrated that at the moment, I can't do anything to change things.

I tried to put on my happy face and look forward to something (incidentally there was a brightly wrapped present on my desk. In a Hannah Montana bag. Things were looking up) here, but as soon as I walked in, the overwhelming stench of failure that emanates from this place, swallowed up any good intentions.

Then I had to read a forwarded email from a co-worker in which John questioned her intentions to move forward with the company and basically told her not to bother. I didn't realize that John had become some kind of life coach/mentor. Why would you ask him for help? You go behind his back, rock at it and then rub it in his face!

The cherry on my morning though had to be when Maurice opened his mouth.

Maurice LOVES UFC fighting. Anything violent like that, he's all over it. My personal opinion on the ultimate fighting stuff is that its barbaric. I don't need to watch 2 roid monkeys fighting it out, beating the crap out of each other until they are bleeding or unconscious. Its medieval and I have no idea why people love it so much. It makes me sick.

However, to each his own I guess.

Anyway, for a long time, these UFC fights did not come to Canada. For good reason. Mixed martial arts are technically illegal, being against the Criminal Code of Canada. Or some such like. Montreal got a few fights, but they did something to temporarily make it OK.

Anyway, a few months ago, Vancouver said OK, let's have a fight here. And all the spectator roid monkeys rejoiced. It was front page news. Yesterday, rumours started swirling that it had been cancelled (and I was secretly thrilled. OK, not secretly at all). Today it looks like its officially done.

Maurice is devastated. He is clinging to some hope that its not true. He started going on about conspiracy theories. About a UFC fight. Seriously. He was going on and on about it. And then Veronica jumped in with him, defending UFC. Apparently UFC fighers are no different than hockey players (I beg to differ), it takes a lot of skill to blindly beat the sh*t out of another man and it isn't really cancelled.

What is this place? Where am I?

No way can this city handle the blood lust that a UFC fight would bring. Anyone remember 1994 when the Canucks didn't win the Stanley Cup? The riots? The only reason nothing like that happened during the Olympics is a) we won and b) they closed the liquor stores downtown at 7pm.

Apparently there was a big fight in a club this weekend when Maurice was there. Another co-worker was there as well and they just spent 15 minutes discussing the "blood everywhere", how the guy's "face was totally split open" and "it was so sick" (as in awesome). Yeah, UFC should come here.

Honestly, the people that I work with!

3 day week 3 day week 3 day week 3 day week 3 day week 3 day week

Damn it kidlets, I have been challenged. I had something to ask your advice on, but it will have to wait. I need to get a whole bunch of stuff done by 2. And if I get it done (and I will because I'm not a moron, despite the fact that I work here) I get a $10 Starbucks card. I recognize that I am their puppet. But you gotta play the game sometimes!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the land of the living. And the awake. Didn't miss much, just the zombie apocalypse. I mean, I think that was what the heck the weather was all about yesterday anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 100% agree with you about the whole UFC thing, absolutley barbaric. It shocks me that anyone would want to watch that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First rule of fight club: is that you don’t talk about fight club.

    Second rule of fight club: is that you don’t talk about fight club.

    I will bring this book for you to read…it’s not a long one…but I think you will appreciate it a lot…I see a lot of parallels with this and the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to Starbucks gift cards, I'd do pretty much anything ;.)

    Try to be positive. Your mental well being is worth trying to make the best (or even some good) out of what you got.

    Can't wait to offer some advice on whatever you've got goin'...

    ReplyDelete