Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Woe is Wednesday

Well this morning is off to a roaring f*cking start. I've been here 30 minutes and already have the desire to strangle someone.

Why is is that you can have the best intentions for your day, you can enjoy the unseasonably mild weather, enjoy your bus ride in, be buoyed by the fact that the previous day went by quickly, know that you have work to get done and it should make the day go by relatively painlessly and then your manager can walk in and sh*t all over your day?

Why is that? And why was that the longest sentence ever?

Normally Amy doesn't bother me too much. I have way more issues with Veronica than I do with Amy. Sure, Amy doesn't tell you anything about herself, you never know where you stand and she works with her brother...but generally if I get my work done she doesn't really have any problems with me.

When she came by this morning for her morning "round" (no she isn't a doctor) I was all set to be cheerful and nice, letting her know that I would get these reminders all done for when John had to run his report later today and then I would get to the small stack of corrections someone left me last week.

Since I have never had these corrections before I don't know what to do with them. Turns out that I printed the old documents, then a new document was processed and then someone checked them to make sure they were right. Seems a little backwards non? Anyway, I got some back and one of them, I made a point of letting Amy know, I thought was kind of silly to give back to me since I can't make the corrections on the new document.

The conversation went kind of like this:

me: OK so this one- I see that I missed noting that they wanted automatic payment, now someone has noted that it is supposed to be automatic, so...why is this back with me? Shouldn't the processor get it back and make it automatic?
Amy: Well no, you need to check that its right.
me: But that's what the person with the sticky notes did- they checked it, its automatic, now it needs to be automatic.
Amy: But you need to check it.
me: You want me to check it a 3rd time even though I missed it the first time and have been told that I missed it because the system says that it should be automatic?
Amy: yes.
me: Doesn't that seem kind of like busy work? I mean this has been on my desk for how many days? And it could have been processed by now.
Amy: Well you need to know that you have made a mistake so you don't just shrug it off.
me: I'm going to be honest, I'm just going to shrug it off anyway because I have been doing these for a while and never gotten anything back and its one that I don't think should have made it back to my desk to sit here for however many days.
Amy: Well you need to know that you made a mistake and you need to double check it to make sure that the information is correct.

So we went back and forth, round and round like this for a while. There was more to it, thhey changed the process and didn't tell me so now I have rework. But basically I put an end to it by telling her, fine, thats how it is.

Whatever.

Oh yeah, I whatevered her. In my head though. I don't have a death wish. Well I don't have a wish to be hauled into a meeting with her and John right when they are deciding on my raise.

But is she serious? Someone checked it, noticed that I missed info that I can't correct now, passed it back to me so that I could what? Pass it onto the person that can correct it? Is this an efficient use of my time?

None of this probably makes any sense to you. If Anna were here I would vent to her and you probably wouldn't even be subject to this right now. But she isn't and if I didn't let it out I would surely explode. So. You have no choice.

Maybe this wouldn't bother me so much if a) I didn't have any hopes for a smooth day today and b) I hadn't taken this test yesterday. I saw it on this here blog and I'm all for taking tests that will solidify my notions that I do not belong here.

So I took this crazy test (did you do it?) and what does it tell me?

That I'm perfectly suited for this job.

No word of a lie.

I wanted to kill myself.

I mean if a test on the internet tells me that I'm perfect for my job it must be true right? I'm sure its a really standardized test, backed by years of research and successful results.

Probably not. But what if there is even one grain of truth to it? Then I am hooped in a big way.

Stupid Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Rain for your paradeMarch 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM

    I took your little test and I quite liked the results and agree with them so HA you ARE perfect for the cubical world! Bwhahahaha!

    Best Occupational Category
    You're a CREATOR
    Keywords

    Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional

    These original types place a high value on aesthetic qualities and have a great need for self-expression. They enjoy working independently, being creative, using their imagination, and constantly learning something new. Fields of interest are art, drama, music, and writing or places where they can express, assemble, or implement creative ideas.

    CREATOR OCCUPATIONS
    Suggested careers are Advertising Executive, Architect, Web Designer, Creative Director, Public Relations, Fine or Commercial Artist, Interior Decorator, Lawyer, Librarian, Musician, Reporter, Art Teacher, Broadcaster, Technical Writer, English Teacher, Architect, Photographer, Medical Illustrator, Corporate Trainer, Author, Editor, Landscape Architect, Exhibit Builder, and Package Designer.

    CREATOR WORKPLACES
    Consider workplaces where you can create and improve beauty and aesthetic qualities. Unstructured, flexible organizations that allow self-expression work best with your free-spirited nature.

    Suggested Creator workplaces are advertising, public relations, and interior decorating firms; artistic studios, theaters and concert halls; institutions that teach crafts, universities, music, and dance schools. Other workplaces to consider are art institutes, museums, libraries, and galleries.





    2nd Best Occupational Category
    You're a SOCIAL MANAGER
    Keywords:

    Tactful, Cooperative, Generous, Understanding, Insightful, Friendly, and Cheerful

    This very social type enjoys working in groups, sharing responsibilities, and being the center of attention. Fields of interest are instructing, helping, nurturing, care giving and instructing-especially young people. They discuss and consider feelings in order to solve problems, lead, direct, persuade, guide, organize and enlighten others.


    Section I: You and Your Team
    This personality overview section highlights your natural workplace talents—the tasks you pursue with passion. You'll learn how your natural strengths complement those of your coworkers and how, joining forces, you can resolve on-the-job dilemmas.
    Section II: Your Key To Success
    Here you discover your capacity for dispelling disruption and maximizing profitability. Use this proven, beyond-self-perception advice to create a more positive career path free of detours.
    Section III: Managing Strengths and Weaknesses
    Your evaluation's highest and lowest scores result in this section's recommendations for staying on-track in your career and reversing wrong turns. In focusing on your talents and missteps, you'll re-stoke your energy and enthusiasm for managing costly mistakes.
    Section IV: Leadership Power Moves
    This final section identifies your "street sense," those power moves that turn obstacles into insignificant details. Here suggestions based on your color-ranked evaluations will guide you towards making the most of an interview or harnessing your fast-paced workday.


    The Full Report: Includes...

    An in depth, stay-on-track guide to your career options.
    How to maximize on-the-job and interview strengths.
    Street sense, obstacle-solving, leadership power moves.


    Yeah that's me!




    ....btw that sticky note and lowering of your chair on Monday, yeah that was me. You made me laugh and smile with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn it thats the result that I wanted!!! Thats what the girl had on her blog and I was like, that could totally be me! Instead, I got hooped.
    And I KNEW it was you!! No one in our office is that creative. But normally your gf gives me a heads up!

    ReplyDelete