Thursday, April 1, 2010

The One Where I Name Drop

So no thanks to you lot I made a decision about tonight: I am going to go.

I was told that there was a hint of anti-social behaviour in my plan not to attend and since I still have to work with these people, I might as well attend. If nothing else a good story should come out of this right? Can you imagine me sitting there, removed from the group, a little pad of a paper and pen in hand recording everything that is said and done? People won't be suspicious of me at all will they?

The upshot of all of this is that I started work at 9 this morning. No sense in getting off at 4.30 only to wait in the bar for everyone else to arrive.

And yes, I realize that it means I have to stay here til 5. But in the moment, the promise of extra sleep totally overrode that fact.

So yesterday, 2 things happened. Neither of them are related to work. Although I'm sure I can find a way to work in something Cubicle related.

First. I went to see Hot Tub Time Machine. Since I never watch commercials anymore (thank you PVR) I was notified of this movie's existence because Liz Lemon (30 Rock) went to see it. And if Liz Lemon likes it...I need to see it. I saw the trailer and got even more excited. Then we lied about our zipcode to watch the restricted trailer (when will you understand America, that sometimes Canada wants to play too?) and I was sold.

Last night was the big night. Before I left work I mentioned out loud to no one in particular that I was going to see it. Maurice chimes in with "Oh I saw that. It was hilarious! I laughed the whole way through!"

I stopped, stared at him and shook it off.

This is like the kiss of death for a movie. If Maurice liked it, thought it was funny or smart, it was probably the opposite. But I didn't want to believe that of Hot Tub Time Machine. Seriously, when Law Abiding Citizen came out, Maurice raved about it. I told him it looked ridiculous. He asked me if I even knew what it was about? I summarized the plot for him. He was all smug "I thought you hadn't seen it?"

I didn't.

Hot Tub Time Machine wasn't as bad as Law Abiding Citizen probably was. But it was no Stepbrothers. I laughed, it was raunchy, but definitely wasn't laughing the whole way through. Maurice ruined it for me. Bastard.

Next. Since I finished The Children's Book (the villagers cheered) I have been able to start the new Jodi Picoult book House Rules. I love Jodi Picoult's books and I haven't been this excited to start a new book since the whole Dan Brown fiasco . I was kind of disappointed in The Lost Symbol. I mean, I couldn't put it down and my heart was racing, but in the end? Meh.

Jodi won't do that to me. She's just getting better the more books she writes.

The problem? I need to keep reading it! I need to find out what happens. I'm invested. Its sitting in my desk drawer waiting for me to pick it back up and find out what happens to Jacob Hunt. I know its there, calling my name, begging me to come and finish, find out how it all unfolds.

In other book news. A couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of reading Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster at work. Its an incredibly hilarious book, something which was recognized by Olga

She asked if she could borrow it.

I was so stunned by her balls to ask me (when we have barely said hello to each other ever) that I just nodded.

But I didn't mean it. So I'm hoping she forgets.

Yesterday, she asked again. I'm not normally opposed to lending out books. You know, to people I like/know. But this? This is wrong. It feels so wrong. The book is in my bag, ready to be handed over. I don't want to do it, but I don't know how I can get out of this!

Jodi will help me get through this. But so help me, Olga better bring Jen Lancaster home to me safely.

Long Weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I got Bitter is the New Black on your recommendation, but have to finish my other book first. So, there you see, you have influence you didn't even know you had :) Don't let it all go to your head at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who reliably returned Jen Lancaster to you safely and in a timely manner? So does this mean that it feels so right to lend them to me now? Please say yes, you have so many pretty books to choose from, and they don't stink like the ones from the library do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VEG you shouldn't have told me that. I'm liable to start burning and pillaging villages now that I have so much power to abuse.

    Record: yes, you passed the test. You can borrow books from me now. I'm glad that my books don't smell. Although I like the smell of library books...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished BitnB, and loved it! Must read other books by the Jen.

    I'm sorry that "he" ruined the movie for you. I hate it when that happens. Perhaps I'll see it this weekend, then tell you I laughed the whole way through. Cause I'm awesome and my taste matters, so that should help right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ONLY goal this weekend: to go see "Hot Tub Time Machine". I hope I'm productive and actually achieve my goal. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like all these book posts... my To-Read List is getting longer! Have you read Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult? That's a good one!

    ReplyDelete